Monday, July 4, 2011

We need a break. And soon!

First of all, do you know how hard it is for me to write a new post to replace the one about my son? It's as if keeping that last one up would keep him around longer. I know life moves on, but we aren't yet. And I almost feel like never writing again.

However, today, we hit another rough patch of luck and I'm wondering what else could possibly come next. I can't wait till we are all home and safe. And then I don't want to leave the house for a month! Yesterday, Rudy drove Kyle and I on an 8 hour trip from north of Minneapolis to Murdo, South Dakota. We drove in after 10:30 pm and after seeing my grandparents and some fireworks for a few minutes, we called it a day. Ru turned around to make the same drive back starting at 7am for a flight from Minneapolis to home. I'm so thankful he sacrificed so much to get us here. I had really wanted to come from the beginning of this whole horrible saga, one that I didn't go into any detail about because basically after losing Jonathan, nothing was that important anymore and certainly not worth complaining about. But basically after going through a ridiculous amount of stress and travel, Kyle and I made it to the general area and were looking forward to time with family. Everything changed on Thursday and I no longer cared about getting to see family, except for the fact that this week, Ru is working super long days at his new internship and I didn't want to be home alone. So he offered to drive us out to Murdo and then drive all the way back to catch his flight home.

On the road today, just after getting back in to Minnesota, he reached over to get something and swerved off the road, over-corrected, and ended up totaling (we think) a car that the parents of our friends so generously let us borrow!! AGH! He is ok, minus some cuts and bruises, thank GOD! But he ended up stranded on the side of the interstate, missing his flight home. Thankfully, my uncle and cousin were home and drove 4 hours total to get him and bring him back to another airport where we paid to have his flight changed. As I type he should be in the air within a couple of hours, taking our Jonathan home with him.

This whole trip was doomed from the beginning and I now know that when so many doors are closed, put stubborness aside and leave well enough alone. We are, of course, so thankful that Rudy is fine, will still get home to report to his first day on the new job, and that Kyle and I didn't have to experience the accident. We are also very weary and need a break, fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment