Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A whole new appreciation...

Every day, I feel my appreciation grow for our moms and all moms in general. The night before last, as I was up ALL night with Kyle for the 2nd night in a row, my appreciation grew significantly for single moms. I don't know how they do it. Now, I am in NO way saying I'm a single mom. Rudy is a true team player and is a hands-on dad. I just got a glimpse of what their world must be like. Let me explain...

Since I am our baby's only source of food, I'm up every 3 hours round the clock to change, burp and feed the little man. Now, "normally" Kyle would go right back to bed after a feeding and allow me some time to sleep as well. If Kyle was fussy (like he has been for a week now!) I could always pass him off to Rudy for a few hours or so and know that we could trade off through the night. The last four or so nights, though, Ru has been studying all night long and I knew whatever sleep he did get, he desperately needed. So, that left me up with Kyle, alone, for some pretty long, intense nights. At one point, it was a luxury to have Rudy's sister hold Kyle so I could simply go to the bathroom! Then, she offered to watch him for a while so I could sleep! This was music to my ears and I was out cold as soon as my head hit the pillow. I don't think I slept long, but for even for just a little while, it felt heavenly. Thankfully, Kyle slept between two feedings last night and I got to sleep at the same time Rudy did. Little joys.

So, I dedicate this post to all the single mothers out there, who do what I did for just two days, EVERYDAY without the emotional, physical and maybe spiritual support to help them. I don't know how Rudy's mom did it with 4 children and kept her sanity, but she and all other single moms have my utmost respect and admiration. I've heard of ministries that help single moms out there, and I think that's something I'd like to be a part of in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment