We've gone through quite a journey trying to figure out what exactly my uterine malformation is, and what we can do about it. It's been a roller-coaster of emotions going from a very depressing/heart-breaking possible diagnosis, to radiologists not being sure exactly what was going on, to finally having the potential of it being "fixable." We waited, prayed, and waited some more. After receiving a second opinion on the MRI scan, we are told that my "bicornuate uterus" could really be a uterine septum. This would be great news! I am scheduled for surgery in November to determine exactly which condition I have. Yes, November!... ridiculous and very difficult, emotionally, to wait that long. While they are in there, if I have a bicornuate, the surgery would stop. If I have a septum, the surgery would continue to remove the tissue that divides my uterus in half.
Here's how the two possibilities break down:
- Bicornuates are not usually operated on and the risks would stay the same.
- Septums can be removed completely and significantly increase reproductive outcomes.
What if this was "only" a septum? If so, it should have been taken care of prior to getting pregnant with Jonathan. And if I didn't believe in a sovereign God, I'd just die knowing that we could have saved him, had we done something earlier. :( No matter what I believe, it still hurts. And I'll never not think, "If only ..."
However, assuming the latest word is correct, we are so glad our specialist's trained eye caught a tiny detail in my scan. If he had trusted the 1st radiologist's word and hadn't looked himself and hadn't requested a 2nd opinion from a pelvic radiologist, we would have been sent home to try again and most likely have doomed another pregnancy. Since successful septum pregnancies are very rare, considering the details of mine, we are reminded that Kyle is truly a miracle (having implanted in one of the very few perfect spots!) and we are thankful we can try to save another heartbreak with surgery.

No comments:
Post a Comment