Wednesday, May 19, 2010

When Daddy comes home...

Growing up, one of my favorite memories was sitting by the living room window watching car after car turn up our street, just waiting for my dad to come home. Sometimes, if I was at the window, I'd have enough time to run outside, swing his door open and jump in his lap before he even got the chance to get out of the car. Other times, when I wasn't as vigilant, I'd hear his keys opening our front door and no matter what I was doing, bolt for the door and be swept up into my daddy's arms. The words, "Daddy's home!!," were my most favorite. Sorry Mom! :) And although I'm all grown up, it's still one of the best things about going back home.

For as long as I can remember, I've been telling Rudy that I can't wait for the day our kids can shout, "Daddy's home," too. And although I know without a shred of doubt that K won't need any of my encouragement to want to welcome his dad home, I still enjoy building it up as much as possible. So even though Shmu can't yet say the words, we can tell he knows what I'm talking about when I tell him who's coming!! His little face lights up and he starts looking around. The minute he recognizes Ru, he's all smiles and practically leaps out of my arms. This, of course, makes Ru super happy!! Well, just simply welcoming Ru home isn't quite enough... we usually try to "surprise" or meet Dad outside by anticipating how long it will take for him and which route he will be taking. A lot of times I integrate a wagon ride, just to keep the little guy content while we wait. Actually, it's just my arms that sometimes need the break.

The other day, Shmu recognized Dad as he pulled up to park and immediately stood up and tried to get out of the wagon. He was totally straining to reach his Papa and even started crying because it was taking too long! Our new routine involves slipping K through the window so he can play with Dad inside the truck. He's fascinated with steering the wheel and looking out around him. We've taken lots of pictures on our cell phones but we keep saying we need to get a real picture. This last time, I finally remembered to bring our camera out with us just in case... :)






K's favorite new thing was learning how to turn on the windshield wipers and make water come out! Ru says he'll gladly keep filling more and more water just so Shmu can play. I'd say that this is definitely one of Shmu's favorite moments in his day. As a matter of fact, it's hard to get him out of the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment