Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Call me crazy...

... but I may have just stumbled upon the preschool we'll send Kyle to someday. It happened totally by surprise. Trust me, the LAST thing I want to do is send my son off to school. But, while dropping off some things to a friend who works at this place, I couldn't help but observe. At first, my observations were strictly professional. The teacher in me was sizing things up left and right and for being highly critical (of things related to education), I was thoroughly impressed. Then, as I accepted an offer for a tour, I kept glancing at little Kyle, riding on my hip without a care in the world, and my eyes started tearing up. This was perfect! I could totally send my son HERE. The realization hit me full force and I wanted to shield his eyes from all the fun that surrounded us. I actually tried, but he kept swiveling his head to absorb it all. As we went from room to room, I grew more and more impressed. Without making a HUGE deal about this place and listing all the things I liked, let's just say that I couldn't have hoped for anything better. Everything I saw was educationally sound, involved best teaching practices, and was developmentally right on point! For dreading the inevitable day I drop him off for his 1st day of school, I felt a whole lot better (and even excited) about taking him to a place like this.

I spoke with the assistant director about possible job opportunities for me so that Kyle (and siblings?) could attend for free. Unfortunately, there aren't any openings at this point and the turn around rate is almost zero. This is a great sign though, because as I talked with the teachers I saw, they confirmed what a great school it is, how they love the work environment and never wanted to leave.

Why is this blog worthy? Well, since becoming a parent, I have realized that I will be exactly the kind of parent we teachers talk about. Some parents can be pretty intense and keep us on our toes. I'm going to be a tough critic and if I found something that impresses me, it's a big deal (even if we are just a few years ahead of ourselves!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment