We can definitely see Kyle being a surfer one day. He has the desire, father role-model, and natural ability (his balance is amazing!). Someday, he'll ask and probably be asked when he started surfing. After watching him out there today, I'd have to say that today was his very first session. All by himself, August 10th, 2013.
The boys and I were meeting Rudy, who was already out fishing, and since I would be carrying everything we needed, I told Kyle he could either bring his boogie board or his sand toys, but I couldn't carry both. Without hesitation he said, "I want my board."
When we met up with Ru, Kyle suited up and walked right out into the water. With it being high-tide he could practice a ton without going too far or too deep. And so he did. Over and over again, he paddled turned and rode the white water in all the while kicking away. He's so eager to stand, and mostly did, so Ru had to remind him that most kids learn by riding waves in on their bellies. There's a lot to learn about those powerful waves. He took a few spills but got right back on his board without a complaint. People walking by were so impressed and I have to say that we were pretty amazed. Our little boy is growing up so quickly.
This is him at the end of a little wave he rode in standing up!!
We couldn't get him out of the water until he got too cold to go on. Our marine layer is pretty thick in the mornings and though the water wasn't too bad, the air and wind made it cold. So, after a good 30 minute session, we took the little surfer to Cappy's for breakfast and a mug of warm chocolate milk!!
Later in the day, we finally got some video of Kyle swimming in the pool. (Just please turn your volume down so my voice isn't blasting in your ears!! :)
And another tiny clip of Kyle swimming to Rudy...





What a little man you have! So fun!
ReplyDelete