Kyle and Dad waiting for the doctor. He loves riding on his Papa's shoulders!
A few days ago, we took Kyle to his follow-up appointment with the specialist. The good news was that he'd grown a half an inch in a little over a month. The bad news was that he'd gained only 3 oz during that same time. He's now 16 lbs 7 oz. The doctor said were it not for the growth in height, she'd be really concerned. After watching him tear apart her room, she commented that he's got such a short attention span to sit and eat and that the problem was mostly behavioral. Not surprising. Getting him to eat has been the biggest struggle next to his former (knock on wood) sleeping issues. This led to a discussion about how to encourage Kyle to eat without making him feel forced. He isn't drinking enough either, and again, I was encouraged to "force" him to drink more as well. The doctor also thought that this should have been caught and worked on as early as 6 months old. No kidding? I could hardly stand it when, after addressing this concern with our regular pediatrician ever since Kyle was born (and being told that he'd just catch up on his own) and then being more proactive for many months now, this doctor showed me a list of Kyle's recorded weight since birth and says, "Here's the problem. He's not gaining enough weight!" I'm sure my look said it all. Of course that's the problem. That's why we were referred to you in the first place, lady!!
I don't know, something about that finale added on to the fact that we had to wait to be seen for over 2 hours which made Ru have to leave in order to make it to class and us miss K's nap, to the pharmacy not having K's prescription, just made for a really bad start to the day! One minute waiting with Kyle and you'd know what I'm talking about. TWO hours in a small, germ infested space with tons of possibilities for exploration that I had to hold him back from? Miserable.
There is a silver lining though! Ru forbids me to blog about it in case I jinx it, but I hope to (still) have some good news in a few days! Let's just say Kyle is on an appetite inducing medication. ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment