Today's doctor's appointment warrants me sitting down and "journaling" the latest news. Two weeks ago, we knew that I had lost weight (2lbs) and that my fundal height (size of my belly) was a few cm behind target growth (32cm). Not a big deal and the nurse wasn't worried at all. She "doctored" up the reason for an ultrasound to check out the growth of the baby. Turns out, we're really needing that ultrasound. Today, we discovered that I still hadn't gained any weight in over a month (during prime growth time for the baby... at what should be about half a pound a week) and that my fundal height had only increased "about" a cm. I'm measuring at almost 33 weeks, when I should be between 36 and 37. Due to the fact that my midwife will be on vacation for the next two weeks, starting tomorrow (the day of the scheduled ultrasound) and won't be able to review the report, she called the hospital where we're planning on delivering and scheduled an NST test early tomorrow morning.
An NST or Non-Stress Test, is used to measure the heart rate of the fetus in response to its own movements. Healthy babies will respond with an increased heart rate during times of movement, and the heart rate should decrease during times of rest. The concept behind a non-stress test is that adequate oxygen is required for fetal activity and heart rate to be within normal ranges. When oxygen levels are low, the fetus may not respond normally. Low oxygen levels can be caused by problems with the placenta or umbilical cord.
So, we've got that appointment tomorrow morning and we'll see our Shmu later in the afternoon at our regular clinic. We won't know much of anything until the perinatologist at the hospital calls us with the report on Monday. I hate it when a weekend falls right in between testing and getting results! Of course, if anything too serious was found, I doubt I'd leave the hospital. That being a mild possibility, I'm going to be washing all of Shmu's things today and packing our hospital bags. I had planned on doing that this weekend anyways, but looks like today will be the day! Earlier in the week, I had so much fun shopping with my mother in law for travel sized items for my hopsital bag. It's been nice to slowly get more and more prepared for Shmu's arrival. Seems awful rushed to have to think about it as a closer possibility. I'm just so thankful that we're so close to being full term and that at this point, delivery wouldn't be a bad thing at all. It would just be a different kind of delivery from what I would have wanted.
I've realized that I haven't been resting, taking it easy, eating as often as I should, etc. for the last month or so and it was nice to clear my schedule today (babysitting two different babies) and take a nice nap. I woke up a bit hungry and ate. My goal is to drink a ton of water and take frequent rest times. I can't say "nap" because I don't tend to nap well. Still, just laying down for bits during the day should help. I finally have my days more free and clear and will try to keep them that way. Today, while resting, I noticed Shmu moving throughout the entire couple of hours I laid down. I was listening to my relaxation technique cd's and thanking Shmu for reassuring mommy that he/she is still very much there and active! :)
I'll post again when I know something.

Praying for you. Yes, bummer to have to wait until Monday for a report. Sounds like you're getting good care! Love you!
ReplyDelete