Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Day by day...

I'm counting the minutes and hours in each day until I can sleep and have some relief from this sickness. I'm currently writing to try and distract myself. I'd had a couple of days that were pretty tolerable and I dared to think my body was starting to get used to the idea of a little one inside. But no, that was wishful thinking. Today was a pretty rough day. Unfortunately, once I throw up, my body seems to remember throughout the whole day and for some reason, likes repeating itself.

During more positive moments, I think about the fact that we're at twelve weeks and the magical day of feeling "normal" should be fast approaching... :) This week the Shmu is the size of a plum. I have another doctor's appt. this Thursday and I'm excited to get another glimpse, even if just through a doppler for the heartbeat. There's something so magical about that heartbeat. It helps remind me what I'm so sick for! I can't wait!



In case you'd like the cliff notes: As we move into the second trimester, the baby shifts into the growth and maturation stage. After weeks in the critical development stage, almost all the baby's systems are fully formed.

For a more detailed account (I'm thinking grandmas and great grandmas here... :) This week, our daily pregnancy journal tells us that Shmu's thyroid, pancreas and gall bladder have now completed their development. The baby's intestines are now in the abdomen in their rightful place. The muscles in the walls of the digestive tract will become functional this week in order to begin "practicing" the movements required to push food from one portion of the tract to another.

1 comment:

  1. Well, Little Shmu, you certainly are making your presence unforgettable... but that would seem to be a hereditary trait. We'll have to work on manifesting a positive approach!

    The plum comparison says, "Average fetus: ..." Your grandmas know you are anything but average! Where's the book that describes "above average?" :-)

    I love you,
    Mindy's mama

    ReplyDelete