Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Mommy's New Job

I'm in my 3rd week back at work, so it's about time I updated you all as to what I am doing. :)

Last year, when I found out my partner teacher would be accepting an admin position elsewhere, I took the full-time job and figured we'd make it work. Well, we did ... but it was such a struggle and in the end, we decided that during this phase of life, full-time work for me just wasn't worth all the stress that came with it. It was challenging for me to be the teacher I wanted to be while being the mother and wife I wanted to be as well. We came to the conclusion that for this next year, our quality of life was more important than the hope of buying a home soon. Equally important was our decision that we didn't want our kids raised by someone else while I worked. We have been blessed for the past 5 years to have had (mostly) part time work for me, and my mother and Miss Esther for workdays. These women have been such gifts to us! Now, as we contemplated my decision to leave the classroom, I fully appreciate what a gift it is to even have the option of staying home or working limited hours. We worked very hard for almost a decade to be able to be in this position and we are so grateful for Rudy's ability to take care of us.

For several personal, financial, and professional reasons, I tried to find something in my district that would enable me to work 40%. Because I have worked so many part-time years, I have forfeited my ability to gain tenure as of yet. (I will need to work 2 full-time, consecutive years without layoffs, in the same district...) This lack of status prohibited me from working a job-share (though I already have for two years...don't ask! It's all about what the district needs when it comes to bending rules). It was looking bleak until I reached out to a former colleague and now a principal at one of our schools. She was able to make the job and schedule that best fit our family and was exactly what I wanted!! :) I'm still amazed! Just like when I worked the P.E. job, this is the best possible job for me to have with my young family. And by that I mean that there is no take-home grading, report cards, or all the extras that keep a teacher very, very busy every evening and weekend. I get the thrill of teaching various K-5 classes and helping struggling learners all day, two days a week, without the added stress of taking anything home with me. Also amazing is that I get to work the two days Rudy stays home until about noon. This means I am able to get myself to work without the stress of getting the boys ready and out the door with me at an early hour, not to mention childcare is covered by Ru for half of both of my work days.

Of course, leaving my school (the school I grew up in and tried so hard to get back to after being laid off) was very difficult. I was finally in the exact place, room, and situation that professionally speaking, was perfect. Though I knew what I had to do, it was still very difficult for me to actually resign my position. Mind you, this was a position several out-of-district and new teachers were itching for and all too quickly snatched up! I'm thankful my colleagues and my principal were very supportive of me putting my family first. Still, this was a decision I mulled over for months and months and now I'm being asked to change, grow, and sharpen who I am as an educator as well as who I am domestically. This position I am taking as an Intervention Teacher will help me improve my skills and will benefit my resume and experience for future employment and/or career moves. So while the change has been very hard for me ... I know taking this position was exactly the thing to do.

So, once again, I tore down all my walls (not the expensive, fade-less paper, though), packed up all my things and moved schools. Once again, I said good-bye to a wonderful staff and locked my door for the last time. I hopped over to another school and met a new staff and will have to gain rapport and respect with staff, students, and parents yet again. Can you tell I'm pretty weary of this by now? :) I know of some teachers (my parents included) who spend their entire careers in one place and never have to move or prove themselves to a new audience. Well, that is not my story but we do what we have to do, huh? :)

So these are a couple "before" shots of my room. I will be sharing this with the newly hired Title 1 Coordinator/Teacher. I got to move in well before we even knew who this person would be, so while I was excited to put my mark on this new room, I was very aware that I would be sharing this space. My Uncle Mike and Auntie Jan were so gracious with their time and helped me put up all the paper and border. This sort of thing is definitely a 2-person job and it was sooo much easier and quicker to have their help. THANK YOU, AJ and Uncle Mike!!

Some in progress/just the beginning shots:




The room now isn't done at all, but it's got a good start to it and it speaks to the job description. I'll be working with struggling students who will need much help with reading, comprehension, writing, and math. This was my first time setting up a room that would serve a very different purpose than that of a general ed classroom. Not knowing what my groups would be yet, I had to think towards what is best practice teaching, and what the general needs would be. My idea is for each of us (the Title 1 Coordinator and I) to have one of the kidney tables and corresponding walls for small group instruction. I also wanted to create a fun reading space with plenty of wall area to teach reading strategies and help students connect back to their learned strategies and tools. You don't see much yet up on the walls because it is my belief that walls aren't meant for store-bought posters or items that remain all year long, but rather they should be reflective of what students are learning in that moment. They should be ever-changing, student-generated, and contain easy-to-manipulate materials that students can continually refer back to. So, once I have students in here, this place will reflect the learning in progress. I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. The impact of the room only surpassed by the impact of the teacher - YOU! A pleasure to have been a part of the launch. We are proud of you and very happy for your students!

    ReplyDelete