Sunday, July 12, 2015

Nebraska

Our drive over from Lincoln, Nebraska to my cousin's farm had us all in awe of the beautiful farm landscape we so rarely see. Seriously, it is good for the soul to be in the heart of America where the sky is so blue, the land goes on forever and ever, and traffic consists of passing another car on the road every once in a while. I wish everyone back home could experience the beauty and simplicity of rural Midwest. This year, I must say Nebraska was looking extra green and beautiful and I guess it should since I hear water has been plentiful. 

My cousins Ryan and Jamie live here. It is Ryan's childhood farmhouse that they have remodeled and is just gorgeous!
After a serious scare with my uncle's health a few days prior, it was extra special to be here sitting together (he was still recovering in the hospital at this point but we knew he would be okay). Our trip could have taken a very different turn and we're thankful all is well. Seeing this family makes me cry every time. I love them so much and hardly get to see them.
These quads were a big hit! And thanks to Ryan's generosity, they got a lot of use.
Gavin called this Grandpa's "motorcycle."
Gavie got a tractor ride with Ryan over to take some things to the dump.
Early in the morning and every chance the kids got, they'd be up on these things just waiting to ride. Kyle looked so cute I had to take a pic.
Amazing how many helpers my cousin had with carrying the pool over to the grass! :) Water play does wonders!

My cousin's amazing yard!!
I saw this and just had to pinch myself. We don't see this type of landscape/background every day. What a gift to be here.
The kids (and adults) were worn out from all the fun. I found Gavin and my dad sleeping this way. Gavin is super attached to his Grandpa and showers him with his affection.
More quad riding...

I love the joy on the boys' faces.
We got a tour of the farm and equipment. It's amazing what farmers do to grow our food and provide resources we use.


Ryan's cornfields were beautiful (if that's how one would describe them... they were to me, anyway!).

Three cousins' kids are represented here (minus little Eve).
So, notice the top of the ladder of the grain bin way up there?
Well, my cousin and I climbed it together and being scared of heights, I'm pretty proud of myself. I'm glad I had her there for moral support ... it was high!
This was our view of the farm and cousin Ryan's surrounding land. It just couldn't be more beautiful if it tried.
A view of our cheering family and a little perspective on how high up we were. Gulp!
A little more broad of a view.
I was amazed at how much land these pivots (the irrigation tool) cover. My camera couldn't capture it all (and this thing swings almost full circle around the house area).
This is a first glance at my uncle's popcorn plant as we drove up to take a tour.
We climbed another grain bin, though thankfully this time not as high.


We all enjoyed hearing the logistics and science behind the production and distribution of the popcorn, but could have spent hours watching these machines/robots at work.


This shipment was headed off to Target. Whenever you buy Target popcorn in the US, you buy from their company. :)
 We spent the rest of the day at my aunt and uncle's lake house. The boys so enjoyed the "beach-like" environment and boat ride.




The following morning we said our sad good-byes and piled into our rental minivan for an 8 or so hour road trip to Chicago. The boys were amazing little travelers and stayed very well entertained. Gavin loved driving his cars all over Grandpa, even while Grandpa slept!
Grammie brought a bunch of educational activities for Kyle. He did very well and was pretty patient with how long the drive was.
Crossing the Illinois state line was pretty spectacular! It meant we were "almost" to Chicago and almost to Daddy and more family. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh how fun! What a fun get away and seeing family you probably haven't in a long time. Makes me think of summers in Murdo...so long ago.

    ReplyDelete