Thursday, July 23, 2015

South Dakota

South Dakota is all about quality time with family and friends. In essence, to me, South Dakota = Love. It has such a strong familial connection that while I only visited most summers of my life for a few weeks at a time... it feels like home and I look forward to going back every chance I get. While in my dad's hometown of Murdo (population in the 400s now!) we spend a lot of time talking around the kitchen table, going swimming at the community pool, and frequenting the Drive In for ice-cream and pizza pockets (the menu includes other things, but those are my traditional favorites). This time, the boys and I got to go to our first ever Ranch Rodeo with our friends, the Labriers and Kinsleys. It was an amazing experience and I'm so thankful it just happened to be going on while we were there!

Can't see the sign clearly, but it marks the South Dakota state line. And you better believe that's the best sign there is to us!!! :) All of a sudden, the grass is greener, the sky is bluer, and we are finally "there!"
Whenever we drive in from the east, we stop in Mitchell and pay our respect to my great grandparents and first family members to come from Norway and be buried in the U.S. Though I never knew them personally, I have a deep love and respect for them and their journey for the American Dream.
We're here!!! Walking in to the family house...bringing Gavie for the first time. He is now fully initiated. :)
 Our first stop was the park. Thankfully, there was a breeze and the mosquitoes were kept at bay.

 Going around and around so quickly on this spin-spinner was the boys' absolute favorite thing to do!



 My grandpa, the most humble man you'll meet...with his own name on the gym. "The Harold Thune Auditorium." So proud of him for all his accomplishments and for never once bragging about himself. Surprised he actually allowed me this picture. And speaking of amazing... this guy is 95 and a half years old and went out to play golf with his sons, engaged in active conversation with every person he saw, and was able to put up with dozens of people in his home for almost a week without at all appearing agitated. We are so thankful for his health and for every chance we get to see him. He is our amazing patriarch and beloved father, grandfather, and great-grandfather.
The first ice-cream cone of Summer, 2015! :) And Kyle's forced smile. :)
Back at the house, the boys loved playing in the sprinklers and not having to think about conserving water in our (CA) drought.

If it wasn't the water, it was these laundry baskets that had them completely entertained for hours and hours! They played train and who knows what, while giggling and following each other around the house time and time again.

 My dad and uncle worked on rebuilding the back steps. All the while, Kyle asked great questions that led all 3 men to believe Rudy has taught his son well in the realm of proyectos. I'm proud of Rudy and Kyle for that. :)
We timed our visit to Murdo to include the burial of the ashes of our dearly loved Papa John and Virginia Parker. We shared a beautiful time with the whole Parker family.

The Thunes who were present, beside my Grandmother's grave.
Both families combined (those who could be present). It was a very emotional/meaningful time and I am so thankful I could be there for this moment when the remains of these two beloved individuals finally made it back to Murdo. If they could see us from heaven, I know they were grinning ear to ear.
Our two families ate together in the church basement afterwards while watching all the old film from the 50's put together into a video. I got to see my grandparents as young parents and my dad as just a little kid. :) I also saw my great-grandmother and great-uncle and aunt and family. So cool to watch them smiling and interacting with their kids. I felt like I was in the movie, Back to the Future. Same era, cars, and style.
Ranch Rodeo, 2015 - Murdo, South Dakota
Our family friend, Chauncey Labrier (in the black hat), was one of the members of the Murdo team. He, just like his whole family, is amazing at what he does. It's not every day we get to see a true cowboy at work. So glad the boys got to see this and gain an appreciation for what ranchers do.
 In between events, Gavin loved making baby Autumn giggle.
 The Labrier/Kinsley Crew
 A candy toss event where all the kids were invited to participate.

This is Lavonne, the most amazing rancher woman you'll ever meet! I've had the privilege of watching her at work and I admit, my jaw drops every time. I tell my students stories about her whenever ranching, like CA ranchos, comes into the curriculum. It's an artwork, and I'm so proud of how well she does what she does. Also, she's such a fun, caring person I've had the privilege of being friends with for as long as my memory goes back.
 She married this awesome guy and they make quite a couple!
 But back to the rodeo...

The boys' favorite event was this... similar to the "Maker" they like to play on blankets around the house or beach towels at the beach! They would have gone out there in a heartbeat!
Great-grandpa love. 
 More laundry basket play. I'm telling you ... who needs toys when you have laundry baskets! :)
My parents played together on Sunday morning (my dad was on the organ on the other side). This was a very special thing to see. My mom's piano playing is as natural to her as breathing.
Mr. Labrier and Gavin. He is an amazing rancher and as true a gentleman/cowboy you'll ever meet.
The church had a potluck. Yes, this was one heck of a potluck!! :) Comfort food at it's finest.
Fun at the community pool.
I have a picture of both boys in this exact spot to (sort of) match the one of me when I was just a baby.
Kyle made fast friends with one of the Parker's grandkids, Jude. It was so cute to see them interacting together. The Parker clan is just like family to us, so seeing these boys together was like watching cousins.
Finally, sleep claimed them!! I couldn't get the camera fast enough to capture them almost nose to nose. This was precious nevertheless and shows how we slept each night, in my grandparents' bed.
Four generations... all 30 years a part. Last time we were here, Kyle was 2 and my Grandma Pat was in the picture. Though we miss her terribly, I am so thankful I got this picture taken with both boys while my Grandpa is still very much with us.
Nearly every year of my life, and certainly every year we come to Murdo, we take this picture under the tree.
 The Men
I love you, Grandpa, more than words can ever say.
 Back in an airport just waiting to get home to "Gavie's House!"

The boys did extremely well the entire trip which included full days of driving and driving/flying.
We made it home at about midnight (Central Time) and enjoyed sleeping in our own beds for the first time in 15 days! :) What a trip! Thanks Mom and Dad, for making this happen! And thanks to all our family who housed us and gave us great memories along the way. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh how fun! Wish we could have made the trip to see you all...someday we will. Glad you were able to make it back for a visit and share Murdo with your boys.

    ReplyDelete