Sunday, August 31, 2014

Two weeks in...

I've been back at work for almost a month now, but we're two weeks in with students. Kyle has loved his class, his classmates, and has already begun forming friendships. It's been a very busy two weeks and we are all adjusting to the new normal. We are so happy Kyle has been approved for a TK class! He is technically not age-appropriate, having turned 5 mid summer...but we've known this was where he should be since last fall and have been praying every night since December that we'd somehow get him in a TK class. Finally, after lots of ups and downs and holding our breath, we have him placed in the appropriate class! The only bummer is that he won't be at my school. :( He's handled it like a champ and we are confident he will love his new class and teacher! It helped we could go over on Friday afternoon (after papers were officially signed) and meet her and see his new room. She's mommy's friend and a true, passionate teacher who loves what she does. He will have a great year!
And speaking of classes...I'm loving my students and am thrilled to be back in upper grade, using all the things I'd boxed up 5 years ago. I've taken lots of pictures with students in them, but I did manage to get a few before and afters of the room without the kids. I don't think I blogged about it, but my mom and Auntie Jan were more than amazing helpers from sun up to sun down for about two weeks. I could not have done all that I did with Gavie in the room, so their help with childcare was absolutely crucial.

Here's the back of the room before (and even this was after I cleaned/sorted through much of what was left behind):
In progress:
The students love, LOVE to read on the bean bags when they are done with their work. So far our system for sharing is working. Kyle enjoys the bean bags for reading, eating, and playing with whatever toys we've brought for the day. Here he is with Miss Esther. :) He wanted to show her his new school so badly and she was kind enough to come!
Meanwhile, over at Grammie's house, Gavie has been having color/sorting lessons. When I picked him up the other day, the colors had expanded to include black, white, and brown with printed labels for some early word recognition. We are so blessed to have Grammie and her never-ending teacher creativity. :)
When Gavin isn't with Rudy or Grammie, he spends the day with Miss Esther. God did a good thing when he made this young lady. She blows us away. What senior in high school constantly thinks of others before herself? She's touched our lives in so many ways and we pinch ourselves to know she is real. We've written her name on one of our Ebeneezer rocks... and she'll go down as one of God's greatest provisions for our family. Just look at how much Gavie loves her! :) A fantastic bonus this year is that she lives just down the street from my school. :)
p.s. He seems to have grown overnight. Look how long his legs are! I guess he must, as he's turning 2 in a few weeks!!! Yikes! 

1 comment:

  1. Great report and pictures! It's going to be a terrific year. So glad to have had a part in its launch! Love you! AJ

    ReplyDelete