Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Presenting...

Baby Shmu!
Our baby at 18 weeks.
The black space inside the body is baby's heart. It was beating just as strong as ever!

This is one of my favorites... look at Shmu's little pouty mouth! So cute!! 

Here we can see that Shmu has five fingers (at least on one hand, anyways)! 

Today we had our long awaited ultrasound! Shmu was being somewhat stubborn and not moving for the technician. The lady even had me lay on my side, rubbed the ultrasound wand over and over the spot where she wanted the baby to move. Would baby cooperate? Nope! I have no idea where he/she gets that from! :)  It was so fun to look at all of the upper anatomy parts, including inside baby's brain. Wow! It was so fun! There's a lot going on in there and it's amazing to compare pictures of when baby looked like a dragon at 7w4d.  I was sure debating whether or not we should find out the gender of the baby. It was pretty hard to have the tech know what it was and not ask! I know it makes complete practical sense to find out. However, Rudy is really excited about that miraculous moment when we welcome our baby into the world and get our big surprise! I figure, if my husband is pretty excited about it, I can be patient. I think! :) 

This week, Shmu is the size of a sweet potato, measuring 5.5 cm and living in a uterus the size of a cantelope. The number of pre-pregnancy pants I can wear are slowly dwindling down to zero! I'm thinking this might be my last week in them. Good thing warm weather is just around the corner. Time for skirts! :) Here's my belly pic at 18 weeks, taken early Monday morning. Can you see how tired I feel? 

18 weeks

3 comments:

  1. Well, Little Shmu, I won't say you have a face only a mother could love. Your grandpa Rich said all he could see when looking at the pictures was a pair of shorts and a waistband! I'm afraid you're going to have to be patient with us as we learn how to "read" your pictures.

    What we do know is that you are fearfully and wonderfully made, and the apple of God's eye!

    Keep exercising so your mama can feel your movements and enjoy "mommy thoughts." Now, for the first time, she can understand a bit more of what Mary felt in Luke 2:19 where it says she "treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart."

    Bye for now, little treasure,
    Mindy's mama

    P.S. Someone called you "Shmu-bear" today. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mom's sweet note above!! Aaron didn't want to find out what we were having our first time either and I decided to wait patiently too. It was a very special moment to find out the boy/girl question when our son came into the world =). Hope you're still feeling well and not sick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, (s)he has grown so much!! How adorable those u/s pictures are. And you look great! Glad things are going well.

    ReplyDelete