Monday, August 7, 2017

South Dakota, 2017 - Part III

I've got to go back a day and share a few more fun fishing pictures! I really haven't fished before, come to think of it, so this was a first and great experience for me. I still couldn't stomach touching the things or pulling the hooks out, but I could cast and reel as if I knew what I was doing. :) 
My friend, Lavonne, on the other hand was amazing and handled the biggest catch like it was a minnow. 

We carved the fish right then and there, using the cigarette lighter for power.  We, meaning Kelly...
We took the fish back to their ranch to eat for supper. (The boys ask, "What's supper mean?" :) The below picture is their land and house down the ways.
 Gavie loved practicing his roping skills. :)
 How cute is this? Children's toys are a little different on a ranch.
Kyle couldn't get enough riding and wanted to stay out all day.
Surreal to be old enough to have a child and to be riding with him. Seems like a few years ago that was me with my parents.
 We managed to get the kids to pose for a pic! Our boys really enjoyed playing with these 3.
Then, after saying good-bye to our friends, we drove in to town one last time for the hardest good-bye ever. Ru snatched the camera and after several "crying" pics told me to try to smile. :/
I guess we managed one, but truth be told my heart was aching. I love this man to pieces and can't stand the thought of him living all alone. He's done well though, so maybe I'm hurting more for him than he is for himself...but I wish we could ease the loneliness for him. He misses Grandma so much. 
The boys need to know what a stud this guy is, so we took a pic in front of the auditorium. Best of all, he'd never brag or tell you himself. Humility is so rare these days. Anyhow, I have no problem bragging about him to my kids...so they'll learn. :)
Every year, every time you leave, you have to take an "under the tree" picture. So we took the classic shot and tried to hold back more tears.

God has granted this man a healthy 97 years and selfishly, we keep praying for more.
When we could pry ourselves away, we headed directly south into Nebraska and on down to my cousin's farm to spend the night before flying out the next morning. On the way, we stopped at a cowboy store and picked up some duds on sale for the boys. :) Now we know what they're going to be for Halloween. :)
Five hours later we were driving up to my cousin's house. It is just as gorgeous inside as it is out and they are the most hospitable people you'll ever meet. :)  
The cousins had waited for us to eat and eat we did! The food was delicious and plentiful. Such a nice welcome after a long day of travel. The company was the best, too. We saw my cousin and her family, my aunt and uncle and another cousin's kids (whom they were watching). Bliss for the kids and the adults! :)
The next morning we were fed and coffeed while chatting in their amazing backyard (didn't get a picture). Afterwards, Rudy climbed up to the top of the grain bin pole (not using correct terminology, but you get what I mean). That's him up there waving.
Of course, you can't leave without a little ride on one of these thingies. I was glad I wasn't on there with and didn't know until later just how fast they went on one of the country roads...there's some things mommas are better of finding out after the fact. :') Other than making Gavin a bit nervous, the boys had the time of their life...including the big boy driving. :)
So quickly, like in a blink of an eye, we were loading up the car to make the final drive to the airport. Very glad we were able to squeeze in a visit with them and meet new baby Claire. Missed them before we even got into the car. Sad we live so far away but that's maybe what makes these trips over the years so sweet and memorable. Thanks, my cousin, for your hospitality. :) :) :)

2 comments:

  1. That trip sounds so awesome! Next time do you want to take our boys along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun! Thanks for sharing. It brought tears to my eyes seeing you and your grandpa. What an amazing man! Glad you could show your boys SD again. Come back next year!

    ReplyDelete