We have internet and T.V! Not expecting to use the T.V. much for quite a while, but it was nice to finally sit down with Rudy last night and watch a show after not having done any kind of loafing around for almost a month. We actually reached our super work-mode limit and called it a night after just a few hours of projects. It was really nice. There's a breaking point, ya know.
We're starting to feel a little less like strangers here and more comfortable with all the quirks and perks of this new space. For every strange thing we encounter we find something to get excited about. It's been a nice surprise since we really didn't buy this house for the house, per se. We bought it for the land, the backyard, and the guest house. I really hadn't paid too much attention to what the house even looked like on the inside and don't think I ever stepped foot in the kitchen before moving in. That's not because I didn't care, but because I knew it'd need a lot of work. So, it's been fun to start to fall in love with the house for what it is as well as what we see it becoming. The kitchen, for example, was not the shining star of the home...but I'm liking it more and more each day. The awkward pole coming out of the bar area used to stand out like a sore thumb and now with just a single coat of primer covering up that old, yellow wall (and getting used to it, I'm sure), I really don't even notice it anymore. I'm loving the wide, open space. It's set up for entertaining quite well and that really makes me happy. Love all the counter space and extra storage I've never had in all my adult life. I actually have 2 empty drawers and many half filled cabinets...and that's with taking out the entire pantry. It's amazing and I hope we can keep it that way. :) I also love that it faces all the activity of the home, backyard included, and I can see and be a part of what's going on when I need to be in there. Another random surprise for us was how nice and peaceful the view is outside our shower window. I can stand in the shower and look out at most of the backyard and watch the boys if needed. The view is really beautiful. Our old place had our master shower tucked way back at the very end of the house, with no window for ventilation, and no chance of opening the nearest window as it opened directly to our neighbor's backyard! What a difference.
To bring this blog up to speed from last Sunday morning, let's do a short recap. The boys had a sleepover with Auntie Michelle up at my parents' house the night we moved in. It was great to have them be a part of the move and all the excitement of the U-haul, but by the late afternoon they were hot and tired and really could use some undivided attention. They were excited about their sleepover and were eager to come see the progress we had made the following day.
After Rudy and I were done cleaning and clearing out our old place, I asked Michelle to bring the boys by so they could say "good-bye" and have some closure. We invited the neighbor kids over for some popsicles but most were out doing Father's Day things. Still, the boys (being as sentimental as they are) enjoyed this and even got to prank myself and Auntie Michelle pretty good! Rudy asked if I wanted to keep the few things I'd left up in the hall cabinet...
Good-bye Napa house. You were very good to us and we will always hold the fondest memories of you.
This is what our living room looks like now. We just received word that our bedroom flooring will be installed next Tuesday instead of this Friday...so, we'll continue to make this work. With the outdoor covered patio area, we're not hurting for space. However, it's about now that you start to need a stapler, or that file, or Kyle wants to play with that certain toy and emptying those boxes in the guest house becomes more and more of a nice idea.
The boys enjoying their first bath in the new house. So cute and excited.We've been unpacking what we can, gardening, and sanding and painting. Here's a look at the progress on our new, front door.
Rudy also hung this tire swing in a preliminary kind of way. (He came home tonight with the real rope/chain he will use to tie it up.) The boys and various kids have already really enjoyed!! I'm so glad I was able to convince our mechanic to let me keep it!
Gavin and his new neighbor friend. :)
Life's been a little too exciting for this sweet boy...haven't seen him nap in forever!
Speaking of excitement, on our way home from swim lessons today, we swung by and picked up a few friends from our former street for a dinner and card game. Kyle declared this night as the best ever! It was super fun for me, as this is exactly why we wanted this house!
Happy Gavin
Happy Kyle
Thank you, new house...we already love you!

No comments:
Post a Comment