Saturday, January 3, 2015

Happy New Year, 2015!!

We just got back from our Christmas in Chicago! While I get all those pictures organized, I wanted to share some pics of how we enjoyed our time leading up to the holidays. 

Kyle got to be Daddy's big helper putting up our Christmas lights. We were so happy to have a chimney this year to decorate. Now Santa has the real thing to slide down.
Stringing popcorn for our tree! Precious, huh?
During one of the weeks at school, Kyle's class learned all about the Gingerbread Boy. So, my mom got out her "Gingerbread Boy Box" from her many years in Kindergarten and we went to town with all things Gingerbread. Thanks, mom!
Retelling the story with magnets.
I tried something new this year - instead of an advent calendar with some piece of chocolate, I borrowed an idea from a friend and wrapped up 25 Christmas books with the idea that the boys could open one up each night and we'd read it together before bed. They loved it! They'd get so excited to get home to unwrap a book each afternoon and would often read it to each other. I used some classics, some old ones from Rudy's childhood, some fun ones GG had gotten them over the years, and bought some new ones, too. It's a great way to spend quality time together and get into the spirit of Christmas. This will definitely be a new tradition for us with some of the books changing out as they age. 

We visited a popular, local group of residential streets lit up for the season. The boys enjoyed all the lights, hot cocoa, and fake snow! ;)
We all loved this home-made train. Each car was made differently and with a different purpose. There was one for the kids to sit in and Gavin was all about that.
GG sent us a little care package with Captain's hats for the boys. So of course, we played airplane a ton. Here is Kyle flying Gavin to Chicago. G has his carry on and his ticket!
We had a total of 3 Christmases. The first one was at night with my parents. It was so fun to see them enjoy their toys.This is a classic shot of my boys: Rudy figuring out how to build one of their toys, Kyle helping his Dad, and Gavie in his own little world, on his tummy and his butt sticking up.
Their second Christmas was with just our family.
They were just too cute opening everything and sharing their toys. Little angels, I tell you.
Ru and I got to open our first ever Christmas gift from Kyle. He decorated a ruler with his picture at school and wrote a special card we will save forever! So fun to be able to read what he writes. ;)
I've got another post coming (if I can get to it) about how these boys play with their trash trucks. It literally warms my heart to watch them play "Trash Truck." I stop whatever I'm doing to just stare and remember these moments.
So that was a snapshot (or two) of our December. :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh how fun! I love your Christmas book idea, I may have to snag that idea for next year. I love it as they get older and memories are made with them that they'll actually remember. Glad you had a good Christmas and safe travels. Now it is back into school and work routine! We've had an easy week back to school, two half days due to weather and two happy boys about that. =)

    ReplyDelete