Sunday, March 30, 2014

Family Visits

Aye aye aye, the blog! I'm running about 3 months behind with little hope of catching up. It doesn't help that sometime last month I lost my camera. :( As sporadic as I am lately, I didn't want to omit sharing about a visit from my Grandpa and Auntie Karen as well as all the other family who have rolled in through the past few months. 

You're probably well aware of the fact that neither Rudy or I have much extended family living nearby. So, when any family member is coming for a visit, it's BIG news. Especially big news, is when our amazing patriarch came to town. His last visit was over 7 years ago and since he's 94 years young, this was an extra special gift to have him in our homes. 

I had been watching the clock while blinking back tears all day long. I love this man. Rudy loves him to pieces, too. 
Though we were heading straight to my parents' house, Kyle reeeally wanted to see them (my Auntie Karen came, too) so we met up at a yogurt store right off the freeway.
Gavin's first time being held by his Great Grandpa Thune. You can tell he was impressed. :)
Throughout the week they were here we spent lots of time with them. On one occasion we took our Midwest visitors to see our Alma Matter. And by our, I mean my grandpa's 5 kids, nieces and nephew, and 2 grandkids (plus practically everyone's spouse). Other alumni are his best friend's kids and grandkids. A group of us met up to eat in the cafeteria. It was both fun and strange to be back (with kids!).
Unlike many of my cousins whose kids regularly get to play and snuggle my Grandpa, for my kids it's a rare treat. I'm glad we have so many pictures.

Papa John's son, Howard. This was the closest I could get Gavin to the man/family we named him after.
Then, the moment Kyle had been waiting for...he got to see where his Mommy and Daddy met. :) This was the science building where we shared a class and became science lab partners. Ru asked me out on our first date on the phone that's just inside those doors. Kyle loved "finally" seeing where we met. He's adorably sentimental.
Rudy delighted in showing Kyle one of the places where he partook in a lot of college-style mischief with his friends. Of course, he hasn't told Kyle the craziest of stories but has kept it to the mild ones. For now, anyway. Heaven help me if Kyle follows suit. :)
Back at the house for our last night, we ate In-n-Out and soaked up every last second together.
Gavin and my Auntie Karen
So happy Gavin got to meet him!
On their way to the airport they stopped by for a morning brunch in our back yard. It's so significant to me because I've never once had my Aunt in my home and I've only had my Grandpa at my table one other time. So, this felt so surreal and I wanted to freeze time. That, or pretend that they'd be coming over again shortly; neither of which is remotely plausible.
A week after they left, my cousin Jamie and her daughter Eve came to stay with us for the better part of a week. It was so fun to have them. Jamie is one of those cousins you could so easily be good friends with if you just lived close enough. It was great to reconnect after 5 years. On her first morning here, she wasn't awake for more than a minute before Gavin had her reading to him.
The boys quickly fell in love with Baby Eve and talked to her, looked after her, and eagerly waited for her to wake up each morning.
 Gav kept pointing at her and saying, "This is a ba-bee!!"
 He told her all sorts of things including naming all the animals that hung down from this play mat.
Kyle was pretty sweet on her, too. And who wouldn't be? She was the happiest most content baby I've ever met.
 "Is she awake yet?"

After Jamie and Eve, we had cousins from Oregon and north of LA visit us. Then, some more cousins from Nebraska (who I hadn't seen in 12 years!!!) came a few days later. No pictures as I lost my camera, but we enjoyed having everyone with us.

Kyle keeps asking about when the cousins will come back. We understand just how he feels. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy your Grandpa was able to make the trip and visit you all. He is looking good! I haven't seen him in a long time, he is always gone when I go home. Precious pictures you got of him and your boys. Memories for years to come!

    ReplyDelete