...of starting solids!!! At least he's looking joyful about it. (He really likes his teething biscuit.)
I don't mind changing poopy diapers, handling the occasional blow-out, or getting spit up all over me, but I've come to realize that having to feed a baby solids (mostly when starting the process) is probably my least favorite. On the upside, it's nice to have him at the table with us and I love Kyle's (and Gavin's) enthusiasm about sharing new things together. Kyle has loved having Gavin "eat" with us! It will get easier later on, but for now the work involved just isn't my favorite. In case you don't know or have forgotten, I'll break it down for ya:
- Pump milk (to mix with the cereal- I know, I know... I could use water, but I want to add calories, nutrients, and better taste) This takes about 15 minutes.
- Package and label milk
- Wash and put away, one by one, all pumping paraphernalia
- Mix and warm the cereal
- Attempt to get the cereal inside baby's mouth :) This may take 30 minutes (or more).
- Take baby to sink or bath to clean every square inch of skin that somehow has crusty cereal in/on it
- After baby is washed and dressed, clean high chair and everything within 3 to 6 feet around it (yes walls, carpet, bookshelf, etc.)
- Wash/scrub bib, tray, bowl and spoon
- Then nurse the baby (to complete the meal)
Total time: a minimum of 1 hour
Do this 3x per day.
Do this 3x per day.
Compare this to what feeding Gav was like a week ago when all I did was nurse him:
- Pull out boob and feed.
Ahh, life was a tad bit easier a week ago... but soon this will become normal and get easier and easier as he gets the hang of it and even starts eating on his own. That will be fun! I look forward to cooking for my boys and watching them eat and interact together at the table. Until then, I smile, applaud, say, "YAY!!" and do all the tricks I know to get Gav to open his mouth and eat! ;)
All this to say, Gavin is eating SOLIDS!!!! :) :)


No comments:
Post a Comment