I was looking up prior posts about Kyle when he was 4 months old and noted that right around his 4 month mark, Rudy was sick for over a week with the H1N1 flu. I read about how he quarantined himself in our room, would text me with food requests, and how we missed him so much.
Strangely, we've experienced the same thing as Gavin turned 4 months old. Same awful scenario... Rudy was sick with the flu and pneumonia for over a week. Totally unable to work, he slept and slept quarantined in our room. There were days where I didn't see him stir for 16 hours at a time. He ate some crackers and drank some, but other than that he was in his room sleeping non-stop for days. Finally, after about a week, he emerged for some food! Still, he wanted to protect the rest of us and kept himself locked in our room. If he did show his face, he was always with a Clorox wipe in hand to sanitize anything he touched. He wore a mask of sorts and didn't come near us. We missed him.
Turns out, all that precaution on Ru's part didn't completely save the rest of us. We are thankful that none of us have the flu. Instead, we all have nasty colds and coughs. We were most concerned for Gavin. He had a terrible cough and struggled to breathe a lot. The nights were pretty scary and I didn't sleep much as I lay awake trying to listen for every breath he took and jumping off the couch every time the pause was too long, or he was choking on his spit up. We rocked all night so he could be kept upright. After 2 doctor's appointments and a nebulizer treatment, we were sent home with an infant inhaler and directions to keep doing what we'd been doing with all our infant-safe home remedies. I think we're moving in the right direction, finally.
So, the nights have been long and the days even longer. I know getting sick isn't "blog newsworthy" but I thought it weird that the scenarios were similar. Something about 4 months wipes our family out! I'll tell you what though, having Rudy back in the game significantly helps my outlook (and sleep!).
Strangely, we've experienced the same thing as Gavin turned 4 months old. Same awful scenario... Rudy was sick with the flu and pneumonia for over a week. Totally unable to work, he slept and slept quarantined in our room. There were days where I didn't see him stir for 16 hours at a time. He ate some crackers and drank some, but other than that he was in his room sleeping non-stop for days. Finally, after about a week, he emerged for some food! Still, he wanted to protect the rest of us and kept himself locked in our room. If he did show his face, he was always with a Clorox wipe in hand to sanitize anything he touched. He wore a mask of sorts and didn't come near us. We missed him.
Turns out, all that precaution on Ru's part didn't completely save the rest of us. We are thankful that none of us have the flu. Instead, we all have nasty colds and coughs. We were most concerned for Gavin. He had a terrible cough and struggled to breathe a lot. The nights were pretty scary and I didn't sleep much as I lay awake trying to listen for every breath he took and jumping off the couch every time the pause was too long, or he was choking on his spit up. We rocked all night so he could be kept upright. After 2 doctor's appointments and a nebulizer treatment, we were sent home with an infant inhaler and directions to keep doing what we'd been doing with all our infant-safe home remedies. I think we're moving in the right direction, finally.
So, the nights have been long and the days even longer. I know getting sick isn't "blog newsworthy" but I thought it weird that the scenarios were similar. Something about 4 months wipes our family out! I'll tell you what though, having Rudy back in the game significantly helps my outlook (and sleep!).

No comments:
Post a Comment