Sunday, January 30, 2011

Thankfulness

Recently, I've been so thankful for my jobs and how perfectly they have provided for our needs all the while being as minimal as possible. I was calculating just how many hours a week I'm actually teaching (the P.E. job) and it comes out to a grand total of 8.5 hours. And I'm getting 50% of a 7 year teacher's salary?!?! Wow, that added a whole new perspective for me! God is SO good! (I just need to remember this when I'm pulling my hair out during some of my tough classes!)

Then, just a week or so ago, I was praying super hard about our lack of health insurance beginning March 1st. We'd had several very depressing conversations with insurance brokers and it wasn't looking good at all. In a random (?) conversation with a teacher I'd never seen before but happen to work near, I was encouraged to talk to our Assistant Superintendent of HR. I knew this lady to be very kind, but was sure it would be a lost cause because my HR rep told me when I signed my contract that part time employees didn't get benefits. However, believing that with God all things are possible... I went in person to plead my case. The result? Apparently 50% employees are to receive 50% benefits!! She apologized for the mix-up and promised to make good on all those months I was supposed to have gotten 50% coverage. Rudy and I couldn't have been more shocked! So instead of paying over 1,500/month we'll be paying just under 800/month. And while that still feels like a ton, we're thankful for the chance to maintain coverage at a 50% discount! And we're so glad Kyle will be able to maintain continuity with his pediatrician and specialist. Hooray!!!

Another thing I'm grateful for is that I work for such a positive, supportive school district. I've been pink slipped in two different districts and let me tell you, they couldn't have been more different in their approach. I'm so thankful I switched (even though it reduced my seniority to almost nothing!) and that they were kind enough to call me back! And twice now, while my job security is on the line ... they've sent me on an all-expense paid conference trip! I don't understand where the money comes from unless is it specifically allocated for such a use, but I sure love it and am thankful! So speaking of which, my other P.E. colleague and I just got back from a trip to San Francisco! We flew up Friday and came home Saturday night. We had a blast driving through SF and stayed at a beautiful hotel. We really enjoyed the workshop and learned a ton about early childhood development/brain growth and gross motor skills (to summarize). A funny story - In the past, I've dressed down for conferences because I always wore heals and professional attire while teaching and enjoyed the chance to go casual. I figured, if I had to sit all day and listen to someone present, I might as well be comfortable. Well, I'm always among the most casual and this time I wanted to look a little more grown up (or maybe I'm tired of looking like a slob for P.E. work?). So imagine my surprise when I walk in to this P.E. workshop and all I see are warm-ups and Jane Fonda-like attire! I'm not kidding, there were some older women there who we wearing outfits from the 80's for sure! :) And, to stand out even further, I realize that we're not going to be sitting behind a table/desk the whole day, but instead be jumping/running/skipping/hopping/obstacle-coursing around and I'm wearing flats that keep slipping on the gym floor! I realized then and there that I've yet to "transform" into a real P.E. teacher. Next time, I'll be wiser! :) Anyway, we got all fired up about what we learned and are excited for our first day back with the kids. I still have quite a bit left in my school budget for supplies, so I can't wait to place my order for some really cool things.

So all in all, I'm feeling grateful. And I'm going to hold on to that while we weather another storm of uncertainty regarding next year. There's talk of our district closing a school, and if that is done I will lose my job again. We will not worry though, because our God has proven himself faithful and gave us exactly what we needed this year. Who am I to doubt him regarding the next?

No comments:

Post a Comment